For visits over 90 days or if you intend to reside in Norway, applicant must apply for a residence permit according to the purpose of the stay at the application portal.

Guidelines to the applicant regarding the document list

You should be sure that your application is properly filled in before it is submitted to the UDI in Norway for processing vi a the Embassy/Consulate.

List of documents that you must submit

When you apply for family immigration you and the staff at Visa Application Centre must fill in a separate list of which documents that you have to send to the UDI with your applications. It is very important that you fill all relevant sections and sign the list. In shanghai all applications for residence permits should submit their supporting documents/passports directly to the Consulate General in Shanghai.

Below are the Check lists and Questionnaires:

Please choose the check list and questionnaire relevant for the type of residence permit you are applying for.

Check lists:

Note! Please be informed that in addition to the documents listed in the checklist, Chinese applicants also need to enclose a copy of hukou (all information pages) with English translation .

If you do not submit all relevant documents within a week, you may get a rejection:

You should submit all relevant documents within a week after you have applied. After a week the Embassy/Consulate will send over the case to the UDI and you may get a rejection if you have not submitted all relevant documentation.

If you do not have the required documentation, you must write a statement:

If it is not possible to provide the required documentations you or your sponsor must enclose a statement that explains why these documents are not available. Your application may be rejected on the basis of incomplete information or documentation.

Original documents and translation

You must show original documents when you apply:

You must show your passport and all documents in their original form when you submit your application/supporting documents.

Bring your own certified and translated copies

Remember to submit copies of the original documents. Bring your own copies when you submit the application.

Documents in other languages than Norwegian, English, French, German and Spanish must be translated by a professional translator to Norwegian or English in a separate document.

Persons from countries with documents that need an Apostille stamp (Mongolia):

Documents from countries that have ratified the Hague Convention, including Norway (see list under) must have an apostille stamp before you can submit the documents to us. Apostille means that, the original document is issued by competent authorities from a signatory state of the Hague Convention

For List: Click Here

Persons from countries with documents that need legalization (China):

Documents from countries that are not members of the Hague Convention must be legalized by the foreign authority of the country where the document has been issued.

Legalization means that the foreign authority in the issuing country by endorsement, has confirmed that the document is signed / issued by the competent authority.

If you are planning to apply for a residence permit, you need to make sure that some of the required documents have been legalized. The documents that currently are required to be legalized are birth certificate, marriage certificate and single certificate. Which documents you need to legalise depends on the type of residence permit you are applying for. Please look at the check list relevant for your situation to see which documents you need to legalise.

Applicants going to Norway to get married are required to provide a single certificate with double legalization.

Applicants applying for 9 months parental visit (short-term stay to visit children in the realm) only need to provide a notarized birth certificate, no legalization. The birth certificate/relationship certificate documenting the relationship between the parents and the children still need to be notarized and legalized.

The documents must first be notarized at a Notarius Publicus office, then legalized at the Consular Section at Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs or at the relevant Foreign Affairs Office.

For more information about Notarius Publicus offices in China please follow this link (Chinese only). For more information about legalisation and useful addresses please follow this link. (Norwegian only)

Interview of the applicant

In some cases the Embassy/Consulate/the police will conduct an interview with the applicant/ sponsor.