This permit entitles you as a parent to visit your children living in Norway for up to nine months. The permit does not entitle you to work in Norway, and you must return to your home country when the residence permit expires. You can travel into and out of Norway for as long as the permit is valid. The permit cannot be renewed, but you may be granted a new nine-month permit when you have stayed outside Norway for at least one year. If you have visited Norway in the meantime (for example on a visa), the one-year period is extended by a period equal to the duration of the visit.
All applications will be forwarded to the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration for consideration after supporting documentation/passports has been submitted.
Applicants should register their applications online using the Application Portal and pay the application fee with a credit/debit card (MasterCard or Visa card). The visa fee will be charged in EUR. Other fees will be charged in NOK.
Application fees applicable as of 01 February 2020:
Application for family reunification permit, Fiancé permit and parental visit permit: please visit UDI for family reunification permit, Fiancé permit and parental visit permit visa fee
Work and Study Permits:
Application for work permit: please visit UDI for work permit visa fee
Application for students, researchers with own funds and au-pairs: please visit UDI for students researchers with own funds and au-pairs visa fee
- Children below the age of 18 years.
- Application from foreign citizens included in the regulations for residence permit in the EEA Agreement or the EFTA Convention, according to the Immigration Regulation §§174-189a, or renewal of such permit.
- Application for refuge or renewal of permit for foreign citizen that has been granted refuge, or is protected according to the Immigration Act §15, 1.
- There is no fee for processing appeals.
The following are exempt from this fee:
Service Charge for Visa Applications –
Shanghai Visa Application Centre: Please refer to "Visa Fees At A Glance"
Hangzhou Visa Application Centre: Please refer to "Visa Fees At A Glance"
Courier Service Fee, including courier charge collection; manual bill preparation; information capture; courier packaging etc. (optional) – 75 RMB per person (inclusive of Service Taxes)
Courier Service Fee for Mongolian applicants, including courier charge collection; manual bill preparation; information capture; courier packaging etc. (optional) – 200 RMB per person (inclusive of Service Taxes)
Please note: the logistic fees can be paid in cash, by Wechat Pay, Credit Card and Debit Card at visa application centre.
Before you start to prepare your application please read carefully about family reunion here.
- Two passport photos
- Cover letter (signed by the applicant) and receipt from the Application Portal.
- Check list and the relevant documents listed in the check list (only English or Norwegian)
- Questionnaire (only English or Norwegian)
Check lists and questionnaires:
Please choose the check list and questionnaire relevant for the type of residence permit you are applying for.
Check list /questionaire:
Note! Please be informed that in addition to the documents listed in the checklist, Chinese applicants also need to enclose a copy of hukou (all information pages) with English translation .
All photos must meet the requirements listed below. If these requirements have not been met, the applicant will have to deliver a new photo that meets the requirements. The photo requirements are the same for children as for adults.
The Photo shall:
- be in sharp focus, clear and with good contrasts
- be printed on quality photo paper with high solution
- be in colours with a light background
- be 40-50 mm in width
- maximum 6 months old, resemble the applicant
- full-face, facing the camera directly, eyes looking straight at the camera
- show the whole head and the top of the shoulders. The face shall occupy 70-80 % of the picture
- show open eyes that are clearly visible. Hair shall not cover the eyes
- be genuine and not be edited in any revision software e.g. Photoshop
- the glasses cannot be coloured
- the rim must not cover any part of the eyes
- there cannot be reflection in the glasses
Glasses are allowed as long as the eyes are clearly visible.
- Chin, forehead and both cheeks shall all be clearly visible
- Shadows in the face due to the head-dress are not allowed
Religious head-dresses are allowed provided that all details of the face are clearly shown.
Please visit website of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) for processing time: Click Here
Forms listed below must be filled in completely (in English only) and must be signed by the applicant himself/herself.
Application form can be downloaded and printed from the link below. Forms are also available at the visa application centre (free of charge).
To Download a Form:
- Click on the form link
- When the form opens, save the form on your computer
- Press the right button on your mouse on the required link.
- Select Save Target As from the list
- Save the form on your computer.